Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions


Please call Public Works at 801-785-2941.

A general idea can be given by looking for your property at, or we can help you at the Community Development office. For specific property line locations, you will need to have a survey performed.

It depends on the zone your property is in. Please call us at 801-785-6057 for assistance.

You need a sticker for each sign that is posted off your site. Signs may NOT be posted on any city light or utility poles. Yard sale stickers are free, you may have up to ten.

Planning & Development

They meet every second and fourth Thursday at 7:00 pm in the City Council Room, 86 East 100 South.

Submit your concept plan (1 paper and 1 electronic copy) with the Community Development Application and a $100 fee. You will be scheduled for the next Development Review Committee (DRC) meeting on the next Tuesday morning, starting at 10:30 am. Application must be received 6 days in advance of the DRC.

All commercial signs must be permitted, following the requirements of the City Signage Ordinance. See Title 10, Chapter 19, at or call us at 801-785-6057 for assistance. A permit and fee may be required, depending on the size of the sign.

For the Zoning Map, see (link) For the City’s General Plan, see (link)

Business Licensing

A business license is the means whereby Pleasant Grove City grants you permission to engage in the business your license is issued for. The definition of business includes all activities, trades, professions or callings engaged in within the corporate limits of Pleasant Grove and carried on for the business of gain or economic benefit.

  • If you engage in any business – either permanently or temporarily – within the corporate limits of Pleasant Grove, you are required to maintain a valid, unexpired business license.
  • Section 3-1-1 states: Engaging in business includes, but is not limited to, the sale of real or personal property at retail or wholesale; the bartering or trading of property or services; the manufacturing of goods or property; and the rendering of personal services for others for a consideration by persons engaged in any profession, trade, craft, business, occupation or other calling, except the rendering of personal services by an employee to his/her employer under any contract of personal employment.

To assure that:

  • The location is properly zoned for the activity to be conducted
  • The building the business will be operating in meets fire safety code standards
  • All federal, state, county and local codes are adhered to, insuring the safety and well-being of our citizens
  • Businesses are properly regulated
  • The revenue from license fee collections goes into the City’s general fund to pay for the cost of licensing and regulation and to assure continuation and improvement of City facilities and services

If all applicable applications and requirements are submitted, approval usually takes 1-2 weeks.

  • Home Occupation: $50.00 Plus; Home Occupation Permit Fee (Conditional Use Permit Fee determined by business nature: Minor Home - $50 (one-time)/Major Home (one-time, also requires scheduled meeting with Planning Commission.)
  • Commercial License: $75.00 (other additional fees may apply.)

All information and links are found on our website and licensing information sheet for Name Registration, State Tax Numbers, Federal EIN’s, DOPL License, Health Department License, etc. If you do business under an assumed business name, sell tangible product, are professional licensed, etc., these requirements must be taken care of before licensing.

Business license renewals shall be due annually on or before December 31. Notice is sent late fall, but responsibility of renewal is that of the licensee. Renewal can be made by mail, office visit, phone, or online.

No, a business license cannot be transferred from one person to another. When a change of ownership takes place, a new license must be obtained.

If your business status changes, please notify the Business License Department. If moving location within the city, a transfer of license location needs to take place. If you move out of the city or close the business, please contact so the account can be updated and closed.

Residential Permitting

Complete and submit a building permit application along with:

  • An electronic copy of plans (CD, email, etc.)
  • Engineering packet
  • RES Check
  • Manual J
  • Gas line drawing
  • $250.00 plan review fee
  • Detailed site plan. Label the width and slope of the driveway (10% max on the slope)

All homes, regardless of size of lot or zone, have current impact fees of $11,019.19, plus water and sewer connection fees of $995.00. From there, the building permit fee and the plan review fee costs vary, depending on the size of the home, garage, covered porch and basement, if finished or unfinished. Total building permit fees for an average home is currently around $15,500 to $16,000.

You must register your apartment by filling out and getting approved an application with the Community Development Department. There is a $25 registration fee.

You must register your information on the chicken registry in the Community Development Department. We will assist you with how many chickens you can have (depending on your lot size), where the coop can be located, as well as all other rules that need to be followed. There is a $35 registration fee.

You need a permit for a new or a replacement fence. The application requires information of where and how you intend to install the fence. There is no fee for the permit.

You need a permit for building or installing any new shed or structure that is 200 square feet or larger. Smaller sheds or structures do not need a permit. The fee for a building permit for larger structures is calculated based on size. All accessory structures must meet setback requirements from the property line. Please call 801-785-6057 for more information.